There are two things I’m grateful for this year – my online friends and a good ole Christmas Card Challenge. Okay there are lots of other things too, but today is about a sweet friend of mine – Kylie Purtell and her 12 Days of Christmas Card Challenge with friends.
I’ve had a wonderful last few years participating in many online card challenges – most of them Christmas! Yes, I’m a sucker for Christmas. And I normally have my own 12 Days of Christmas Series myself…but between a move from Europe back to the USA (we’re settling in the Raleigh, North Carolina) area, and purchasing a new home unexpectedly – my November/December got turned upside down – please forgive me!
So I was elated when Kylie asked me to participate in her 12 Days of Christmas with Friends Challenge. And I encourage you to enter too – pick any inspiration from any day….today is Day 7 – and just jump on in. The prizes are from three of my favorite stamp stores – all small businesses owned by amazing women.
To Salute these three creative women – Kylie, Shery & Christine, I thought it would be fun to put together a little Christmas fun using products from all three – from where else…my hotel room…lol!
I went for a little rustic look with some toned down colors here.
- To create it you’ll want to sponge a little Festive Berries through the ARTplorations by STAMPlorations Merry Go Round Stencil – keep it light to have it look effortless.
- Next sponge around the perimeter with a little Tea Dye Distress Ink lightly and add a few lines and dots to the corners with an Early Espresso Distress Marker.
- Next Stamp the Holly & Berry images from the Christmas Joy stamp set by Happy Little Stampers in Black Archival Ink on Kraft colored card stock.
- Color in your images using Zig Clean Color Markers and cut out leaving a little edge to allow the images to pop.
- Once your background is fully dry (I zapped mine with a Heat Tool), test it to see if any embossing powder sticks, and then stamp the gorgeous Christmas greeting in Versamark ink from the Christmas Surprise stamp set by Create a Smile Stamps.
- Emboss it in Silver powder and stamp the coordinating greeting onto a little strip of Kraft in Black. Adhere to your background and edge with an Early Espresso Distress Marker.
- Edge the greeting a bit with the same Early Espresso Distress Marker – keeping it uniform – mine is slightly to the right and underside of the letters. This helped to pop the image off the busy background.
- Add your panel to a folded piece of Olive card stock and there you have it! My card front measures 5 1/2 x 4″.
Don’t you just love how the background looks like little peppermint candies…I love all these elements, and these three companies are some of my favorites – I’ve spent my fare share at each this past year – just don’t tell Michael! 😉
And for another fun little card for some inspiration…I kept it Clean and Simple using Kylies super cute newest Christmas set – Christmas Joy. I’m in love with the little trees in it and the sentiments. Be sure to stop by the Happy Little Stampers video channel this week for lots of Christmas inspiration too…
I used Strathmore Bristol paper for a super smooth finish that works effortlessly with Zig Clean Color Markers. If you have these awesome watercolor markers – you NEED this paper! Lower quality papers just don’t get the same blend.
- Use several shades of green to blend the perfect tree after stamping it in Archival Ink (Ranger), and a few browns for the trunk.
- Add a light shadow underneath the tree in a warm grey for a simple shadow which grounds your tree for a realistic look.
- Use a MISTI stamp tool to position your greeting, then ink up the Christmas in Red, stamp…clean and repeat using black on the bottom. It was so easy to do. I used Catherine Pooler’s new ink pads – Polka Dot Red and Midnight Black.
- Originally I thought a one layer card would be perfect…but the little Olive borders added so much – I just HAD to trim it and layer.
It’s cute though, right? I just love these little trees – seriously…I can’t stamp enough with them!
So now it’s up to you! Enter the challenge to win gift certificates from Happy Little Stampers, STAMPlorations and Create a Smile! If not just to enter to finish off those cards – and if you’re done…start on next year!
Click Here to visit Kylie’s blog and enter in the Linky contest – run, don’t walk!!! You have until 12 pm – December 17th (AEST) Winners will be chosen at random. for a $20 gift certificate to one of the following sponsors:
Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! It’s been a little bit, I’m happy to have had the opportunity to actually stamp again! Be sure to stop by the Happy Little Stampers Video Channel to see our Christmas Series – we’re live right now! Notice some of those cute little trees?
Hope to see you very soon – and if we don’t cross paths until 2017 – Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!