We had a fun first month with the new Christmas Challenge at Happy Little Stampers – well the fun isn’t stopping there! This month the theme is Sparkle, so I figure what’s more sparkly than Snow?
I whipped out some of my favorite stamps for this beauty – Stampscapes. And I have a treat for you today – I filmed it too! The first video is about the Ink Swipe technique using a Colorbox Stylus and Sponge Applicator. I’ve always admired Kevin Nakagawa’s (Artist and Owner of Stampscapes) videos and creations, so I hope I do his technique some justice! It’s quite a bit longer than my regular videos, so grab a beverage, and enjoy all the creative tips along the way!
The Second video shows you how to put the Sparkle in your card – that’s the Christmas Challenge theme after all…and how to create the snowflake window with your scene. That one’s a bit more normal length…lol! Both showcase a very cool idea, so have fun with them. They are completely step by step.
The videos will teach you how to use the Colorbox Stylus tool on glossy card stock for a mystical moonlit scene. It’s loaded with tips and how to’s so enjoy! And I can’t wait to see YOUR creations at Happy Little Stampers for the Christmas Challenge – be sure to play along!
And if you didn’t get a chance to visit any of the challenges at Happy Little Stampers…be sure to stop by to see the new Stamps! What???!! Yes, there is a new stamp company in town – get your hands on the first series. Definitely check out the shop here.
- Card Base – 11 x 5 1/5″ top folding card
- Card Front – White – 5 1/4 x 5 1/4″
- Glossy Card Stock for Scene – 4 3/4 x 4″
- Glimmer Paper, Navy Card Stock – Stampin Up
- Stamps – Small Lakeside Cove, Doe – Stampscapes
- Stencils – Winter – Memory Box
- Dies – Handlettered Holiday – WPlus9, Festive Flurry – Stampin Up (Retired)
- Inks – Tuxedo Black – Memento; Ranger Distress – Tumbled Glass, Broken China, Stormy Sky, Chipped Sapphire, Pumice Stone; Illuminate – Stampin Up, Frost White – Colorbox
- Other – Colorbox Stylus Tool with Sponge Applicator, Fun Foam, 2 Way Glue Pen, Dazzling Diamonds Glitter – SU, White Gel Pens, Q-Tips, Mini Sponge Tool, Liquid Glue
Creative Tips –
- Be sure to add a light layer of ink (Distress, Adirondack Lights) to your glossy card stock first to help the rest glide with the stylus tool.
- To keep your scene elevated evenly use fun foam to mount it for a bit of elevation off the main card.
- Sponge lightly but thoroughly. Try not to press too hard through your stencil to avoid unsightly marks from your sponge tool.
- If you don’t have a pearlescent pigment ink like Illuminate – try silver, white or even versamark.
- If you’re not into scenic cards – throw a photo in that spot!
I also love to play along with other challenges – another one of my favorites is Muse Christmas Visions – and this week the inspired card had snowflakes in it. Even though the stars spoke out to me too, it was the snowflakes that ended up on my card to provide the sparkle. Cool how it all tied in!
I also played along with these challenges too this month:
So, now that you’ve learned a little here – be sure to check out all the other great inspirational projects at the Christmas Challenge at Happy Little Stampers! I can’t wait to see what you come up with.
If you enjoyed this tutorial...
…you’ll love our free subscriber only video series. Learn new techniques through our exclusive Creative Tips e-letter and subscriber only video and project tutorials!